6 Issues Pertaining to Dating and Divorce in Illinois
If you are embarking upon divorce in Illinois, you may be wondering how dating or beginning a new romantic relationship could possibly affect your legal rights and financial interests during the divorce process. With so much at stake, it is prudent to consult with a knowledgeable divorce attorney about dating during the divorce process. Barrington divorce attorney Blake Austin Culver at Richard W. Culver, Ltd. can help inform you about the potential issues pertaining to dating and divorce, such as:
(1) Dissipation Claims: If a spouse has spent marital funds during the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage on a new girlfriend or boyfriend, that spouse may have dissipated marital assets.
(2) Impact on Property Division: As a result of dissipation and the loss of marital funds, it can be argued before the Court that a spouse's property distribution should be reduced.
(3) Impact on Parental Responsibility/Child Custody: If a spouse's new girlfriend or boyfriend has a negative or improper influence (due to alcoholism or substance abuse) on the children, it can be argued before the Court that sharing significant decision-making, including education, extracurricular activities, health care, and religious training, would not be in the best interests of the children.
(4) Impact on Parenting Time/Visitation: It can be argued before the Court that a spouse's parenting time/visitation with the children should be curtailed if a spouse's new girlfriend or boyfriend has a negative or improper influence on the children.
(5) Impact on Alimony: If a spouse has moved in with a new girlfriend or boyfriend, that spouse may have no need for spousal maintenance (alimony).
(6) Overall Costs of Divorce: Due to a new girlfriend or boyfriend, and the possible resulting litigation, the overall costs of divorce may significantly increase.
Dating during divorce is complex, with so much to consider. Barrington family law attorney Blake Austin Culver at Richard W. Culver, Ltd. can help you to protect and to safeguard your legal rights and financial interests during the divorce process, and Blake can help evaluate your specific situation.Contact a Barrington, Palatine, and Schaumburg Divorce Lawyer
If you have any questions or concerns about dating during divorce, call 847-382-2900 or complete the online contact form to arrange a confidential consultation at Richard W. Culver, Ltd. Evening and weekend appointments are available as necessary to accommodate client's schedules.